Exclusive Live Webinar Series
Your Definitive Guide to Buy to Let
Join us on a journey through the Buy to Let landscape, brought to you in a series of expert masterclasses designed to boost your business.
Our exclusive live masterclasses have been designed to give attendees an in depth understanding of the Buy to Let market which will significantly increase your level of knowledge and confidence – and therefore opportunity.
Delivered by Roger Morris of Precise Mortgages, these events pull together his knowledge, not only from the perspective of working in the specialist lending market, but also as a highly successful landlord with many years’ experience in this area.
As there is considerable information to impart, our guide features four chapters, taking place on separate days. These events are fully live and interactive, with questions and feedback welcomed.
Every landlord has a unique set of circumstances, which is why it’s essential you understand the complex Buy to Let challenges you may come across. For example, would you have the confidence to discuss the different tax structures (having ensured they’d also taken independent tax advice), be able to talk confidently about permitted development rights and how Article 4 could impact them, or how a Tenants in Common arrangement compares with Joint Tenants?
Over the four sessions below, Roger will impart his knowledge of some of the complex issues you may encounter, providing the information you need to enable you to support your landlords.
Chapters and dates
2. Taxation & Structures of Ownership
Friday 22 May 2020 – 2pm Closed
3. A guide to Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) and Article 4
Friday 29 May 2020 – 2pm Closed
4. Landlord engagement strategy & summary
Friday 5 June 2020 – 2pm Register
1. Overview of the BTL Landscape & Legislative changes - Friday 15 May 2020 – 2pm
Our first masterclass looks at how the Buy to Let landscape has changed in recent years following the introduction of a raft of new rules. We look at some of the key changes, how they have affected the market and what landlords need to know to make their Buy to Let business a success.
In this first event, you will take a journey with Roger looking at how you can help navigate your landlords through the various legislative changes, whilst expanding on legal responsibilities and how landlords can increase their rental yields.
- BTL Timeline of legislative changes & the effects on landlords
- Additional considerations for FTB v FTL
- An introduction to Section 21
- Explaining SPV’s, Tenants in common
- What are the different types of tenant?
- Understanding background affordability stress
- Portfolio and portfolio diversification
- How can my landlord increase their yields?
2. Taxation & Structures of Ownership - Friday 22 May 2020 – 2pm
In our second masterclass, we assess why more landlords are considering whether to incorporate and if they are to do so, it’s essential they’re aware of the tax implications of running their business as a limited company. In this event, we look at whether it’s the right move for them, what they need to consider before incorporating and how it could affect the tax they have to pay.
We will focus on BTL taxation and various structures of ownership, whilst enforcing the need to ensure your landlords always take independent legal and tax advice. We will also cover the nuances of incorporation tax relief, beneficial interest and why Tenants in Common is just one of a number of solutions landlords should be considering.
- What expenses do landlords need to consider?
- Stamp Duty surcharge and final rules
- How can my Landlord increase their yield?
- Holiday lets overview, plus impact of Airbnbs
- An introduction to complex BTL ownership structures
- What are debentures and floating charges?
- Is selling a personally owned buy to let to a limited company the right thing to do?
- Can landlords have an LLP with the beneficial interest assigned?
3. A Guide to Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) and Article 4 - Friday 29 May 2020 – 2pm
Masterclass 3 assesses why in a time of market uncertainty; HMOs are an attractive option for landlords looking to maximise their rental yields.
In this chapter, we consider some of the areas landlords need to be aware of before converting a property, the rules and regulations that could affect an HMO application and looks at the variation of rules in different parts of the UK.
- Housing Act - Definition of a HMO
- How to convert a property into a HMO
- An introduction to Article 4 Directions
- How to submit a planning application
- What is mandatory licensing?
- What are some of the rules and regulations that could affect an HMO application now and in the future?
- What are the rules in Wales and Scotland?
4. Landlord engagement strategy & summary - Friday 5 June 2020 – 2pm
Masterclass four discusses why it’s never been more important to have an effective engagement strategy in place. With so much information for landlords to absorb, those who ensure they keep their landlords up-to-date with the latest developments will be invaluable to their clients.
Discover the best ways to keep in touch, look at some of the requirements being introduced in 2020/21 and the importance of education.
- A quick summary of past events and a focus on the education of your landlord
- How to try and remove the confusion.
- Understanding the formula about profitability
- What new legislation and standards are coming in over the next 12-18 months
- How to diversify to chase yield
- Landlord engagement strategies
- What a landlord can offset before tax is calculated
- Your customers’ tenants and how to develop them
CPD is applicable to all of the above events.